Israel's Problem

by William J. Randolph

commenting on Ezekiel 5:5, he writes:

     "While placed in this privileged position, Israel became enamored with the ways and the women of the pagan nations to whom she was to be a witness.  Soon Israel's position of privilege became a position of punishment.
     "Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I, even I, am against thee, and will execute judgments in the midst of thee in the sight of the nations" (Ezekiel 5:8).  "Moreover I will make thee waste, and a reproach among the nations that are round about thee, in the sight of all that pass by" (vs. 14).
     In my very early years, I found myself in a similar situation.  I had a part in a special children's program.  The part assigned to me required a delayed entrance onto the stage.  When I was given my cue and a helping push, I suddenly found myself looking at a sea of adult faces all looking at me.  I forgot what I was to say.  My reaction must have been humorous.  Each time the audience laughed, self consciously I would respond in some silly way.  I didn't remember my part but I had everybody laughing!  That is, everybody except two people, my parents!  After some patience, my father stepped to the platform and put me over his knee right in front of everybody.  I had done my clowning before this audience so it was before this audience I was to be punished.  This was not the way his children were to act in church.
     Israel had disobeyed God in the presence of the nations to whom they were to be a witness.  Therefore, it is in the midst of these nations that she was to be punished.  Israel and the world was to learn that no matter how great the purpose of God, His holiness can never be compromised.

from Help For Understanding Bible Prophecy, Shiloh Publications, 1989, p. 54

Popular posts from this blog

Warning: Avoid William Barclay's Writings

Election and non-Calvinism – Assembly Leaders Thru History

The School of Manners - Rules for Children - 1701