"I'd rather have Jesus"

Satan still tempts offering the kingdoms and glory of this world:
Matthew 4:8-9  "the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, 
and the glory of them; and saith unto him, 
All these things will I give thee..."

But the believer disdains all that, as did his Lord, and confesses that he is a pilgrim and stranger in the world (Hebrews 11:13; 1 Peter 2:11), and is content to have Christ, desires to know Him better, and waits for his heavenly inheritance (1 Peter 1:4).
 
Philippians 3:8 "I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ."
 
I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands.
I'd rather be led by His nail pierced hand.

Chorus:
Than to be the king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

2 I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause;
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame.
I'd rather be true to His holy name.

3 He's fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He's sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He's all that my hungering spirit needs.
I'd rather have Jesus and let Him lead.
                            -- R. F. Miller, 1922
 
Colossians 2:2-3“...Christ; in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." 

Popular posts from this blog

Warning: Avoid William Barclay's Writings

Election and non-Calvinism – Assembly Leaders Thru History