MY WAY OR GOD'S WAY?



Getting your way is not a sign of being in God's will. Consider Jonah, Balaam, and others. Scripture employs examples from history, precepts and exhortations to impress upon us the importance of walking in God's will and not being deceived by self-will. Consider this quote from Keith Green in an article about Balaam and self-will.

“Let's put this in a modern setting. Someone asks Suzy out on a date, but her mom says, “No, I don't think he has enough character for you,” or something like that. Now there are two ways Suzy can respond to this fellow. “Well, I asked my mom, and she pointed out some really good reasons why I shouldn't go. She doesn't feel that this is a right relationship, and I trust her, and I really believe I'm supposed to obey her.” Or, “Boy, I'd really like to go, but my mother just won't let me!” 

If she uses method number two, all she does is encourage this guy to find a way to get her to disobey her mom. If someone knows that you really want to do something, even if you shouldn't, it will inspire them to keep trying to get you to change your mind. But if they know that you are convinced because of strong convictions in your own heart, they're more apt to give up. 

Many of you go to God and say, “God, I really want a husband.” “I really want a wife.” “I really want this job.” “I really want this ministry.” “I really want this whatever.” And maybe God says “No.” Now if you can't obey with joy in your heart, then you're asking for trouble. If your response is, “Gee, I'd really like to go, but the Lord won't let me,” you need to see how wicked that is, and realize that you're opening yourself up for all sorts of attack. If the devil knows you're convinced that God is the wisest, and that you know it's best to follow His counsel, then he doesn't have a point of attack. But if he knows you lack conviction, then all he's got to do is get you to believe that your opinions are better, smarter, or more pleasing than God's principles. There's a big difference between just obeying God on the outside, and obeying from a thankful, joyful, agreeable heart. 

...A poll was taken in the U.S., and they asked men and women how much money it would take for them to agree to sleep with a stranger. The average amount for the men was $10.00. The average for the women was $10,000. But as the dollar amount got higher, almost everybody said, “Yes, I'd sleep with a stranger for a million dollars.” And what I'd say to all of them is - you're willing to be a prostitute. All you're changing is the price. You're willing to set aside your convictions for money. If you can be bought at any price, then God doesn't care about the price. He only cares that you can be bought. 

Would you leave the Lord's will for a tall, dark, and handsome Prince Charming? He's a pastor and he's been to Bible school, and everybody loves him. He can sing beautifully, and he can lead people to the Lord by the droves. He's gentle and loving, and he's everything you ever wanted. He thinks the Lord wants you two to get married. He likes you and you like him. There's only one hitch - God has told you “No.” Would you still marry him? Got the picture? What's your price? At what point are you willing to disobey God? What is there that can buy you. Are you for sale? Is God for sale in your life? Is obedience for sale? 

...Watch out - if you keep whining and whimpering to God about that cute little blonde, after He's already told you “No,” you'd better be very careful...you just might get what you're after. He may finally say “Yes,” and you will have to live with the disastrous results. 


exerpts from the article, "Getting What You Want From God", by Keith Green. The entire article is available at:
http://www.lastdaysministries.org/Groups/1000086206/Last_Days_Ministries/Articles/By_Keith_Green/Getting_What_You/Getting_What_You.aspx

Psalm 106:15 warns us, using the example of Israel. Verse 13 says, "they did not wait for his counsel." Like Balaam, Israel and others, we can get what we want from God, but then come the consequences. "And He gave them their request, But sent leanness into their soul." Answered prayer might not always be a blessing. Getting what you want might harm others and bring sadness and loss to your own life. 

Bunyan, in his epic work, Pilgrim's Progress, illustrated the danger of getting out of the way, with the episode of bypath meadow, when the pilgrims took a pleasant-looking shortcut that brought disastrous results. Of course the enemy of our souls makes the shortcuts and side roads appear attractive and right, otherwise how could he deceive us?  Bunyan shows clearly that once out of the way, they fell prey to Giant Despair and suffered greatly before finding deliverance. They had no one to blame but themselves!

Instead of Balaam's way, Israel's way or my way, there is God's way. Our Lord taught us to pray: "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" (Matt. 6:10).  Too many of those who pray like this are really waiting till they get to heaven to do God's will, because down here they want their own will!  Self will has destroyed many a life, but the Lord has never destroyed a life devoted to His will. His is "good, acceptable and perfect" (Rom. 12:2). Romans 12:1-2 exhorts us to make one of life's great decisions, to present ourselves as a living sacrifice to God. Sacrifices hurt, and cost us. There must be a renouncing of worldly wisdom, and a renewing of the mind in God's Word.  Such a sacrificial commitment allows us to experience, "prove" the wonderful will of God. It can only be made in faith, trusting God's will and way, and allowing Him to do whatever He wants with our lives. Would you really be willing to sacrifice your self and your plans for your life in order to have God's will? In Gethsemane we hear our Savior pray: "Not my will, but thine, be done."  Those words should be for His followers, too.

The words of Adelaide A. Pollard's hymn suggest how we should pray and wait on the Lord.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy presence humbly I bow.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me, I pray!
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Hold o’er my being absolute sway!
Fill with Thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me.

Popular posts from this blog

Warning: Avoid William Barclay's Writings

Election and non-Calvinism – Assembly Leaders Thru History

The School of Manners - Rules for Children - 1701