I'd Rather Have Jesus

 
What politician or political activist can truthfully say...?
 
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
 
Refrain:
Than to be the king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.
 
 
I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I’d rather be true to His holy name
 
 
He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead.
 
from the site www.timelestruths.org 
Although American hymnals show Rhea Miller as the author of this song, Swedish sources attribute the original to Prince Oscar. In 1888 he relinquished his royal title and right to succession in order to marry a commoner who had influenced his religious beliefs. Afterward he was active in Christian service. 
 - - - - - - - - -
Wonderful words, and challenging not only to politicians but to us all! No wonder A. W. Tozer said Christians tell more lies singing hymns than at any other time! How vastly different our lives and churches would be today if these words were taken to heart!

 

Popular posts from this blog

Warning: Avoid William Barclay's Writings

Election and non-Calvinism – Assembly Leaders Thru History

The School of Manners - Rules for Children - 1701